Tuesday 12 December 2017

#BlogTour Scorched Shadows by Steve McHugh @StevejMcHugh

Scorched Shadows by Steve McHugh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In the final chapter of the Hellequin Chronicles, secrets will be revealed, friendships will be tested, and destinies will be fulfilled.

Avalon is under siege. A shadowy cabal, headed by a mysterious figure known only as “My Liege”, has launched a series of deadly attacks across the globe, catching innocent human bystanders in the crossfire.

Emerging from the debris of battle, Nate Garrett, the sixteen-hundred-year-old sorcerer also called Hellequin, and his friends must stop My Liege once and for all. But powerful forces stand in their way. To save Avalon, they will need to enlist the help of Mordred, once Nate’s greatest nemesis, now his most formidable ally. But Mordred is grappling with a dark prophecy that could spell Nate’s doom…

The fate of the world hangs in the balance. Even if Nate can halt the war, will there be anything left worth saving?


**********

To start with this book, seven in the Hellequin Chronicles, without having read the previous six books may have been a bit daring (even foolish) especially since this is also the last book the series. It's like seeing the last 20 min of a movie. It's interesting, but you feel like you have missed a lot of things that are mentioned. However, I must say, despite that did I find the book surprisingly easy to get into and even more surprisingly easy to keep a check on all the characters. And, trust me they are many. I think that the reason for the easiness is the fact that most of the characters are mythological ones. Both familiar names and new ones for me. But, the names stuck and I never felt a bit lost, instead was I intrigued by this absolutely fascinating mix of mythological beings in a modern setting. Also, this good vs bad story always work for me.

It's a thick book. And, yes there were moments I felt like, not necessary the story dragged out, but rather it was a lot of things to take in with Nate Garrett and Mordred hunt after the mysterious "My Liege". There were a lot of fights all through the books as they fought enemies, searched after missing friends and tried to find out the truth about the person behind the "My Liege" alias.

I definitely think this a book worth reading. However, you should probably start with book one. And, I know that this is the last book in this chronicle. However, I did get a feeling that this is not really the end...


No comments:

Post a Comment