Wednesday 16 August 2017

#BookReview A Cold Day For Murder by Dana Stabenow @HoZ_Books

A Cold Day For Murder by Dana Stabenow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Somewhere in the hinterlands of Alaska, among the millions of sprawling acres that comprise “The Park,” a young National Park Ranger has gone missing. When the detective sent after him also vanishes, the Anchorage DA’s department must turn to their reluctant former investigator, Kate Shugak. Shugak knows The Park because she’s of The Park, an Aleut who left her home village of Niniltna to pursue education, a career, and the righting of wrongs. Kate’s search for the missing men will take her from self-imposed exile back to a life she’d left behind, and face-to-face with people and problems she'd hoped never to confront again.

***********

A Cold Day for Murder is the first book in the Kate Shugak series and I've found myself a new series that I want to read. This book had everything I like about a mystery book, engaging characters, fabulous milieu, and an interesting mystery.

Kate Shugak almost died on a mission and after that did she quit her job, but when this case lands on her doorstep does she decide to try to find the ranger and the detective who gone missing. She had a personal relationship with the detective in questions so finding him is personal for her. But, they have both been gone for weeks and the weather is cold so the chances of finding one of them or both are slim.

The book isn't especially long, but I quite liked this little mystery. What I really loved about this book was the setting. The waste wilderness of Alaska, with small towns, where everyone knows each other. The mystery in itself was interesting as well and I have to admit that I did not see the ending coming until Kate herself started to see where it was all leading to. I quite liked learning more about Kate and her family and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series to see what the future will bring for Kate.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment