Tuesday 18 July 2017

#BookReview Look Behind You by Iris Johansen @StMartinsPress

Look Behind You by Iris Johansen
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

A serial killer is on the loose in San Diego, and he has a most unusual M.O.: With each kill, he leaves behind objects with unclear meanings. Most of the recent killings are centered near Kendra Michaels’ home and office, so it comes as no great surprise when the FBI shows up at her door. The investigators soon make a startling discovery: the left-behind objects are actually souvenirs of other unsolved serial murder cases in various U.S. cities. And the new cases feature “holdback” characteristics of the other murders unknown to the general public. Kendra realizes that the killer has come to challenge and taunt her. The investigators become his newest targets, even as Kendra slowly begins to suspect that one of them may be the killer himself. She must find the killer as the body count rises, and to do so she relies on her own ”dream team” of agent-for-hire Adam Lynch and private investigator Jessie Mercado. They must risk everything to defeat a psychopath whose terrifying plan is years in the making.

**********

Look Behind You is book five in the Kendra Michaels series. I have only read the previous book, Night Watch in this series, but I have read several of Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan books.

I was curious to see how I would about this book. Night Watch was OK, but not as interesting as the Eve Duncan books usually are. Eve is such a wonderful character and I haven't warmed up to Kendra in the same way. However, I did find that the storyline in this book was much more interesting than in Night Watch, and I have slowly started to come to like Kendra. It helps that I think the female characters in this book are pretty awesome, besides Kendra do we have her best friend Olivia and showing helping Kendra is private detective Jessie who once was a bodyguard to a famous singer. However, my big problem is Adam Lynch. I just can't seem to warm up to him. And, yes like I wrote in my review for Night Watch does he remind me of Quinn, Eve's significant other. Just less interesting. Lynch macho man style just annoys and bores me. I hope one day to warm up to him. But, his over protecting style and know it all just makes me grind my teeth.

Nevertheless, the story is not at all bad, the hunt for the serial killer is interesting and intense and I was really baffled over the identity of the killer. Truly, and utterly stunned! Too bad that Adam had to get back from China. I was thinking of giving the book four stars, but a big heart to heart between Adman and Kendra made me realize that I was not totally enjoying the book. But, still, the revelation of the killers must be rewarded so I give it 0.5 more stars just because of that!  It really sucks when the main character falls for someone and you don't feel any chemistry between them. Still, it's a good book and I wouldn't mind reading the ones I've missed.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment