Monday 6 February 2017

#BookReview The Somme Legacy by M J Lee

The Somme Legacy: A Jayne Sinclair Genealogical Mystery by M J Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When a young teacher asks genealogical investigator, Jayne Sinclair, to look into the history of his family, the only clues are a medallion with purple, white and green ribbons, and an old photograph. Her quest leads her to a secret buried in the trenches of World War One for over 100 years.

Who was the real heir to the Lappiter millions?

The Somme Legacy is the second book in the Jayne Sinclair genealogical mystery series, but it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone story.


**********

I found the blurb really intriguing, about a genealogical investigator searching for answers to why there is no evidence to support claims that a couple married in Gretna Green during WW1. Jayne Sinclair is contacted by Mark Russell to find out if it true that his great-grandmother Rose Clarke married Captain David Russell, the eldest son of Lord Lappiter in 1916. They have only a couple of days to find out the truth before the property and the money will pass to the crown since the line became extinct in 1986.

As a long-time fan of mysteries in the past did I not hesitate when I got the chance to read the book. I also really liked the idea of a genealogical investigator as the main character and I loved reading about how Jayne Sinclair conducted her search. The plot in this book is interesting, with a young woman marrying a man above her status and the Captains family's resentment to her. I was fascinated to read about the suffragette movement and how involved Rose Clarke was with it. It's a sad story, Rose Clarke's story is not a happy tale, she claimed she married the man she loved, but when questioned couldn't she prove it and no until present time is someone trying to find out the truth.

However, there was one thing that just didn't work for me for me in this story was the laughable villain Herbert Small, I'm sorry I just couldn't take him serious one bit. His constant drinking of warm milk to soothe his stomach was just ridiculous. Sorry, but as a villain in a story was he really bad. I would have liked a more interesting and threatening person to try to stop Jayne Sinclair to find out the truth.

But, all and all is it an interesting story. The storyline from 1916 was moving, especially reading about how belittled women were at that time. What they had to go through to get the chance to vote is horrifying. Sitting here writing this review makes me think of all the women who fought and went to prison for their beliefs. It's something that we should be thankful for, and proud!

I want to thank the TBConFB for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment