Monday 30 January 2017

#BookReview The Last Flag by Wren Cavanagh

The Last Flag by Wren Cavanagh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What would you do to pay the bills; to survive, or to just get rich, would you compete against other teams in a quarantined town filthy with zombies wanting to bite out your throat?
Emma and Lewis sign up for the race, they need the money to save his life. But they won't just be racing the dead, the surprise blizzard or the other contestants.

Because anger and vengeance know no bounds and like everyone in the blighted town they become pawns in a game of retribution.

The contestants become nothing more than live entertainment to viewers who watch and judge their every move in the town of Prideful as they race each other to arrive alive to a final flag. The team that makes will get airlifted out alive and go back home richer for it, the others walk back to a pittance and if they are not careful. They won't get out at all.


**********

This is actually how I imagine the zombie apocalypse to be, a way for people to earn money. Both, those that can profit from it by even thinking of a TV show where people must go through a town full of zombies to find flags and people that can earn "easy" money fast.

The Last Flag, is just as the title describes a book about different groups fighting for flags and their lives. I found the book to be very refreshing to read because it felt very different from what I'm used to when it comes to zombies. Instead of people getting surprised by zombies and are trying to hide from them are the people on the teams' hellbent on winning cash. And, don't get attached to the people in this book. It may start off slowly, not much interaction with the zombies, but there comes a moment when everything starts to go to hell, not for the people on the teams, but for the ones behind the show. That's another thing I really liked about this book. There are a lot of things going on behind the camera that, well screw things up for some people.

This is the third book I have read by Wren Cavanagh and just like Arachnohazard and Bits and Pieces were this book a great read. I liked the humor in this book, and the action and I especially liked that Cavanagh manages to make a trite subject like zombies interesting again.

I want to thank the author for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of zombie books, but having read this review I think I might give The Last Flag a go!

    ReplyDelete