Sunday 1 January 2017

#BookReview Graveyard Shift by Casey Daniels

Graveyard Shift: A Pepper Martin Paranormal Mystery by Casey Daniels
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Pepper Martin returns in a new ghostly mystery when she is contacted by the ghosts of Eliot Ness and Al Capone...

Pepper Martin, now Community Relations Director of Garden View Cemetery, is contacted by the ghost of Eliot Ness, one of Cleveland’s most famous dearly departed. According to Ness, the ashes scattered at the ceremony twenty years earlier weren’t his. His were stolen prior to the ceremony by a Ness groupie, and he cannot rest until those ashes are found. Luckily, Pepper has an idea where they may be.

Knowing she’ll have no peace until she does what the ghost wants, Pepper travels across town to retrieve the ashes...

********

First, I want to say that the description of the book gives away too much information about the book. So, I have removed the part of the description on my review here on my blog so that it's less revealing. Luckily, I must have skimmed the description before I started to read the book since I only had a vague idea of the book's story. And, I like it that way. I don't want to know too much!

Anyway, I found the book to be quite charming to read. It actually felt like just the perfect book to read at the moment, a cozy mystery book is always nice when you have read heavier or darker books. Graveyard Shift is the first Pepper Martin book I have read, and I admit that it was Eliot Ness that caught my attention. I found the idea of his ashes being stolen quite interesting and people seeing ghosts is always intriguing. I had no problem getting into the book, despite no previous knowledge, instead mentionings of previous cases, etc. just made me interested in reading previous books. Pepper Martin was easy to like. However, I found her mother quite annoying and I wished sometimes that Pepper would just tell her to stuff it! Quinn, Pepper's boyfriend did I have some trouble warming up to. I don't know, I just didn't find him that interesting. Perhaps I will grow to like him if I read more books in the series.

The case in itself was not earth-shattering mysterious. It was perhaps a bit too easy to figure out (especially if you have read the description) what would happen and there were no great twists to the story. But, I liked the book, the story was easygoing and charming and I definitely recommend this series to people looking to read a cozy mystery series with a paranormal touch!

I want to thank Severn House for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment