Thursday 1 December 2016

Someone Is Watching by Joy Fielding

Someone Is Watching by Joy Fielding
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bailey Carpenter is a smart and savvy private investigator, until a horrific attack leaves her trapped at home in her Miami high-rise apartment, crippled by paranoia.

Everywhere she looks, she sees the face of her attacker.

Including in the apartment directly opposite her.

Where someone is watching.

A tour de force from a master of psychological suspense, Joy Fielding's devilish and gripping novel will have you holding your breath until the very end.

*********

Joy Fielding is a name that I recognize from books at my mother's place( I have browsed her bookshelves many times during the years). However, I haven't read a Joy Fielding before I read this book. And funny enough, neither has my mom. I guess we both like to hoard books.   

Someone Is Watching is a thrilling and chilling book about a woman who is attacked and raped, never seeing the man's face, just remembering small details about him. She is struggling after the assault to return to a normal life, and just leaving the apartment becomes an obstacle. And, every man she sees could be the rapist. She starts to observe a neighbor across her street with her binoculars. And, she becomes more and more obsessed with that. And, she starts to think that the man in questions is watching her too...

What I liked about this book, besides the whole is Bailey crazy or is the neighbor really watching her storyline, is that Joy Fielding has created an interesting backstory for Bailey that adds intrigue to the story. She together with her brother is the youngest children of a man that has been married three times, and with children from each marriage. He died four months prior and left all assets to Bailey and her brother. However, their five is now contesting the will. This adds drama to the story. I did, I have to admit suspect some of the twists in the book, but I was so caught up in the story that I didn't mind that so much. I found the book to be hard to put down and for me was it a real page-turner. So, I guess I have to check out the Joy Fielding books that my mom has. I really want to read more from her!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment