Tuesday 6 December 2016

How Will I Know You? by Jessica Treadway

How Will I Know You? by Jessica Treadway
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A page-turner about the murder of a teenage girl, from the author of Lacy Eye.

On a cold December day in northern upstate New York, the body of high school senior Joy Enright is discovered in the woods at the edge of a pond. She had been presumed drowned, but an autopsy shows that she was, in fact, strangled. As the investigation unfolds, four characters tell the story from widely divergent perspectives: Susanne, Joy's mother and a professor at the local art college; Martin, a black graduate student suspected of the murder; Harper, Joy's best friend and a potential eyewitness; and Tom, a rescue diver and son-in-law of the town's police chief. As a web of small-town secrets comes to light, a dramatic conclusion reveals the truth about Joy's death.

*********

Confession time! I could not finish Lacy Eye by Jessica Treadway. I read half the book, and I could not for the life of me enjoy the story. So, I was a bit worried about how this book would turn out. But, I was instantly drawn into this sad and tense story about a young girl that turns up murdered and the impact it has on the community, from her family to her friends not to mention the man accused of killing her.

What I really like about the story is that it moves between the time before and after the murder. Both storylines are intriguing as we get to follow the investigation of the murder at the same time we slowly get a picture of what is going on with and around Joy Enright before she is murdered. I came to like Joy, especially when I found out her big secret, why she was acting so different before she was killed. The book is well written and heartbreakingly sad.

I think this book's strength is that it keeps surprising the reader and that the characters are so well developed with flaws and all. Everything that happens has consequences and that is something that this story really show.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

How Will I Know You? by Jessica Treadway

No comments:

Post a Comment