Monday 22 February 2016

Mrs. Houdini by Victoria Kelly

Mrs. Houdini by Victoria Kelly
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Escape artist Harry Houdini promised his wife Bess before he died that if it was possible would he find a way to speak to her again after death with a coded message only she would understand. Through this book, we get to follow Bess as she struggles through a life without Harry and hoping to get a message from him that he is waiting for her. The book also has a parallel storyline with her meeting Harry and their life together up until his death.

I have a longstanding fascination with Harry Houdini and knew instantly I wanted to read this book. But, strangely enough, I had a bit of a hard time getting into the story. I felt that the characters never really came to life for me. It was a good, book just not a riveting book. I had hoped to really get lost in the story, instead, if felt that I struggled to read, despite the book being not that thick. However, towards the end of the book, did I finally feel that the book's story started to get to me. There was just something about the last part that resonated with me. I wish I had felt the same connection towards the rest of the book, but I'm happy that at least did I feel that the book got to me.

It was not in any way a bad book. Both storylines are good and I did enjoy reading about the Houdini's and I liked the way Victoria Kelly took some liberties with their story. And, I absolutely loved the ending! Also, I like the cover, but I didn't know the meaning of if until I had finished the book. I love reading a book and when you are done you finally realize the meaning of the cover.

I recommend this book. It's an interesting mix of fiction and fact and it's fascinating to read a story from Bess point-of-view, her life with Harry Houdini. A love story that not even death could stop...

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment