Friday 5 February 2016

Dead Scared by S.J. Bolton

Dead Scared by S.J. Bolton
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Dead Scared is book 2 in the Lacy Flint series.

DI Mark Joesbury recruits DC Lacey Flint to go undercover at the Cambridge University as a student. There have been several suicides, but the London police aren't convinced that the victims acted alone. Could there be someone out there preying on insecure students? And, is Lacey herself being put in danger?

It was quite nice to return to this book series. The first book was good and I was interested in reading and learning more about Lacey, and, of course, Joesbury since they have a very deep connection. And, that connection is clearly still there as Joesbury has to worry throughout the book about Lacey's safety. I just love those two in the first book. Both are very fond of each other, but there are barriers between them.

What I really like with this series is that Lacey is such an interesting character, if you have read the first book will you know what I mean and if you haven't well all I will say is that she has been through a lot in her life. And, her past is perfect for her to play a vulnerable student, but it can also be extremely dangerous for her if the police are right and it's a killer out there trying to get vulnerable students.

The story was good, the case; suicides at a university didn't feel not overused and I especially liked that, despite that I figured things out was I still surprised by the ending when certain things were revealed that I hadn't figured out. The book started with the ending and after that, it was a countdown through the days as the story progressed to the scene in the beginning of the book. I'm not always that fond of that kind storyline when we get a glimpse of what will happen at the ending of the book at the beginning, but in this case, it worked. And, that ending. Loved it. Although I felt that some things were left unresolved, but perhaps next book with deal with that. Still, wow what an ending!

You can probably read this without having read the first book. But to understand Lacey do I think reading the first book would be prudent.

No comments:

Post a Comment