Friday 24 April 2015

The Liar by Nora Roberts

The Liar by Nora Roberts
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Shelby's life is in ruin. Her husband is dead, leaving her with debts and it seems he wasn't the man she thought he was when she married him. Even his name seems to be false. So, she packs everything she still owns and returns to her hometown with her daughter. But it seems that someone is out there watching her every move and soon her peaceful hometown will not be so peaceful anymore...

Before last year I had only read one Nora Roberts book, which to be honest feels a bit odd when you think about how many books she has written. But to be fair I mostly read fantasy, sci-fi and crime novels and hers have always felt a bit not my type of book. But lately I have been given a chance to try out various books written by her and this is the latest and I actually thought that this would be the first book by her that I would give four stars to. That was before I hit the 50% in the book and everything started to fall to pieces when it came to the story.

On the plus side with the book we had some really interesting characters; I liked the main character Shelby and her family, her love interest Griff was OK (yes it was a bit too much instalove for my taste, but I could take it). The crime/mystery everything to do with her husband worked for me (mostly) but it was all the Hard of Dixie stuff, feuding with an old enemy from school, playing family and the extremely predictable ending that made this book lose stars. There are three ways to end a thriller, a surprising ending (the best), a not so surprising ending (kind of OK ending, you had an inkling of what should happen, but for the most part, the ending still delivered) and a terrible, terrible predictable ending, the kind that you see miles away. This one had the number three ending and I can take many things like for instance instalove, well no not really, but I can overlook it, kind of. But this kind of ending, no!

So, in the end, 2.5 stars because half the book was good and I still liked Shelby and her family in the end.

Thank you Piatkus for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment