Thursday 15 January 2015

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Phryne Fisher has her hands full in this, her second adventure. And just when we think she’s merely a brilliant, daring, sexy woman, Phyrne demonstrates other skills, including flying an airplane and doing her own stunts!

Phryne takes on a fresh case at the pleading of a hysterical woman who fears her hot-headed son is about to murder his equally hot-headed father. Phryne, bold as we love her to be, first upstages the son in his own aeroplane at his Sky-High Flying School, then promptly confronts him about his mother’s alarm. To her dismay, however, the father is soon killed and the son taken off to jail. Then a young girl is kidnapped, and Phryne―who will never leave anyone in danger, let alone a child―goes off to the rescue.

Engaging the help of Bert and Cec, the always cooperative Detective-Inspector Robinson, and her old flying chum Bunji Ross, Phryne comes up with a scheme too clever to be anyone else’s, and in her typical fashion saves the day, with plenty of good food and hot tea all around. Meanwhile, Phryne moves into her new home at 221B, The Esplanade, firmly establishes Dot as her “Watson,” and adds two more of our favourite characters, Mr. and Mrs. Butler, to the cast.


**********

Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine, she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was too darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper.


No comments:

Post a Comment