Saturday, 1 November 2014

The Poppy Factory by Liz Trenow

The Poppy Factory by Liz Trenow
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jess returns home from her final tour in Afghanistan haunted by nightmares from her time at the front. She starts to drink more and more and in the en drives away her boyfriend Nate. At her mother's home, she finds her great-grandmother Rose's diaries. Rose writes about her marriage to Alfie, a soldier in the First World War who lost a leg and return home traumatized by his experience. Can Rose's diaries help Jess with her life?

**********

I must admit that I struggled with this book. I had a hard time getting into the story. It wasn't anything wrong with the book. I just felt that it didn't catch my interest. But around halfway through the book it got better and I actually started to enjoy the story. Even though I must preferred the trial and tribulation of Rose's life than Jess. So, in the end, I actually came to enjoy this book and I'm glad that I kept going with the book and didn't give up. I was a bit stumped in the end because the book ended a bit abruptly. I blame it on the formatting of the text, since it wasn't any breaks between the chapters (no new page when a chapter was finished) and the Book Club Q&A just appeared after what was the last chapter when I had several pages of the book left...or at least, I thought I had. But this was an ARC so I know that the text isn't always perfect.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment