Friday, 21 November 2014

Fiercombe Manor by Kate Riordan

Fiercombe Manor by Kate Riordan
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The year is 1933 and twenty-two-year-old Alice arrives at Fiercombe Manor in rural Gloucestershire, pregnant and unwed. She has been sent there from London by her mother to hide the shame and the housekeeper Mrs. Jelphs, who is an old friend of her mother, will look after her. The family who residents there lives abroad. Alice discovers, during the hot sunny summer days that some thirty years before something happened to the lady in the house, Lady Elizabeth Stanton, who like Alice also was expecting a child.

**********

I requested The Girl in the Photograph from Netgalley and then I found an interesting book called Fiercombe Manor on Edelweiss and requested it. A while later when I had been granted access to them both did I realize that it was the same book. The Girl in the Photograph is the English book and Fiercombe Manor is the title for the book in US and Canada. I chose to read the Fiercombe Manor since the text was formatted better in that version.

This is the kind of book I like, a historical fiction/mystery. I love reading parallel stories, and in this book we get to follow both Alice and Elizabeth and as the story proceeds we get to know what happened to Elizabeth in the past at the same time as Alice in the present discover it. Now, the book wasn't that great that I had hoped it would be, but it was a good read and above all it was interesting even though I felt that story dragged on a bit in the middle, but I was probably just a bit impatient. I also liked the characters, I didn't even mind the budding romance between Alice and Tom Stanton.

So if you like historical fiction/mystery books then this is a book for you!

Thank you Netgalley/Edelweiss for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment